Notice of Proposed Rule Making on Part 212,
Formulas for Denatured Alcohol
Proprietors of denaturing plants and
1. The purpose of this circular is to provide information
relative to publication in the Federal Register on August 11, 1956,
of a notice of proposed rule making, whereby it is being proposed
to supersede Appendix A, "Completely Denatured Alcohol Formulae,"
and Appendix B, "Specially Denatured Alcohol Formulae" to 26 CFR
Part 182 with new regulations designated as 26 CFR Part 212,
"Formulas for Denatured Alcohol."
2. Amendments have been made in the material (1) to discontinue ten formulas for specially denatured alcohol; (2) to provide
two new formulas for specially denatured alcohol; (3) to amend two
formulas for specially denatured alcohol; (4) to clarify and
standardize language in all formulas; (5) to standardize form of
presentation of specifications for denaturants; (6) to eliminate
specifications for denaturants for ethyl acetate; (7) to amend
the list of denaturants for which specifications are provided;
(8) to amend the table of weights of specially denatured alcohol;
(9) to provide a table giving code numbers of uses of specially
denatured alcohol; and (10) to delete instructions concerning
samples and submission of formulas, which instructions are contained in 26 CFR Part 182.
3. Provision is being made for the publication of this
material as a separate part, which will provide for its convenient
use at minimum cost by all persons concerned.
4. The proposed notice of rule making provides that prior
to adoption consideration will be given to any data, views, or
arguments pertaining thereto which are submitted in writing to the
Director, Alcohol and Tobacco Tax Division, Internal Revenue
Service, Washington 25, D.C., within 30 days from the date of
5. Inquiries relative to this industry circular should
refer to the number thereof and be addressed to the office of
your assistant regional commissioner (alcohol and tobacco tax).
Dwight E. Avis
Director, Alcohol and Tobacco Tax Division