Saké Resources

Saké (pronounced sah-kay) is an interesting product in terms of our regulations. Generally, for matters relating to production and tax, saké is treated as beer under the Internal Revenue Code (IRC). For labeling and advertising, saké is treated as wine under the Federal Alcohol Administration (FAA) Act. Thus, saké is subject to provisions in both 27 CFR part 25 (beer production) and 27 CFR part 4 (wine labeling and advertising).

View Additional Saké Resources under Key Saké Topics below for a few exceptions to the saké regulations highlighted above.

phone icon NOTE
Anyone wishing to produce saké must qualify as a brewery, and also must file an application for basic permit to produce and blend wine. For more details, we have saké brewery information listed under Alcohol Producers and Manufacturers on our Applying for a Permit and/or Registration page.

Key Saké Topics


phone icon CONTACT US
For questions about saké production, contact our Regulations and Rulings Division at

For questions about saké tax payments or applications, contact our National Revenue Center at or toll free at 877-882-3277.

For questions about saké labeling and advertising, contact our Advertising, Labeling, and Formulation Division at or toll free at 866-927-2533:

  • Option 5 for alcohol advertising questions, or
  • Option 6 for technical questions about labeling or status of wine applications

Page last updated:February 2, 2017
Page last updated:February 2, 2017
Maintained by: Advertising, Labeling and Formulation Division, Executive Liaison

No FEAR Act | Disaster Relief | | Inspector General | White House | | Webmaster |