Submitting samples with formulas
The following guidelines should help the submitter decide when it is appropriate to send a two-ounce sample of their product along with TTB Form 5154.1. Sending a sample when it is not required adds unnecessary burden to the Lab and is an unnecessary cost to you.
You should not send a sample when:
You should send a sample when:
- Formula does not list significant amounts of flavor chemicals.
- Only essences, concentrates, extracts are listed.
- Less than 10% by weight essential oil in a washed extract.
- Formula contains masking agents such as sugar, high fructose corn syrup, glycerin, juices.
- Ingredient making formula unfit is not listed on formula.
- Product is not produced in the United States (even if unfit by guidelines)
- Product is a sauce/syrup - ethanol is not more than 12% (v/v) and residual solids greater than or equal to 60 grams per 100 cubic centimeters.
- Vanilla extracts
Note: the submitter should list the specific chemical(s) that make the product unfit on the form. This could eliminate the need to submit a sample.